Thursday, June 12, 2008

Update

Okay, wow its been a long time! I've been wanting to post these pictures of Gracie and Noah since March! I took them to Chuck E. Cheese for Noah's birthday. It was the first time they had gotten to see each other since Christmas time and they really had a lot of fun!
Gracie was definitively diagnosed with NF1 a couple of months ago. NF1 stand for neurofibromatosis 1, right now her only symptoms are cafe au lait spots and freckling in her armpit and groin. The hardest part is not knowing what complications she will develop from it. At her age, most kids with NF1 don't exhibit much more than that. The geneticist said that she may only end up with spots but we won't know for sure until after puberty. Even after then she could still have more stuff pop up. But I'm trying not to think about that or worry about it... I am just very aware to keep an eye out for other symptoms.
She is doing very well developmentally. She talks up a storm. We have started to do articulation exercises to help with her speech ( she talks a lot its just not always clear!). She does talk in full sentences though. She is sooo imaginative and creative. She is constantly coming up with stories or games. She frequently will jump in my bed or on the couch with me and pull a blanket over us and say "Shhh.. a shark is coming!" She loves to play pretend. And frequently acts like a grown up. We were playing with her dolls yesterday and I made them do something silly and she put her hand up to her head, shook her head and said " Mommy, you're too much!" I thought it was pretty funny coming from a 2-almost- 3 year old!
I know they say all kids are like little sponges but I swear Gracie is extra sponge-y! She suddenly started saying "Gracias, De Nada, and Hola!" And using them appropriately... thanks Dora! She will hear or see something once and remember it long after and if its a new word she will not only remember it but use it appropriately.
So we have "stolen" my mom's dog, Bailey. We were just supposed to babysit him for one night, but we never really gave him back. Gracie LOVES having him around. He has really become part of our family. The pictures with her and Bailey in bed were his first night with us and she was so excited she was dancing! Then again, Gracie is constantly dancing and "shaking her booty."

In the past few months Gracie's hair has really started to grow.. thanks I think to new hair products. I have to special order them online.. and they aren't cheap but they are soooo worth it. I have been able to do much more with her hair. Including braids , puffy pigtails, regular ponytail, etc. And it all just looks better! Not to mention her hair always smells amazing now. Her braids below were a couple of days old but I just wanted to give an idea!
Last semester Gracie was going to the daycare at my school a couple of afternoons a week and LOVED it. When the semester ended she was saying " I want to go to school.... I NEED to go to school!" So, now that she is potty trained and almost three I signed her up for one full day of preschool a week. She LOVES it. She gets very excited and talks nonstop about it.
Gracie is sooo expressive and silly and very loving. I got the stomach flu a couple of months ago and I couldn't head into the bathroom without her following, and when there she was rubbing my back and telling me I'd be okay. ( In hindsight it was very sweet, at the time I of course just wanted some space!) She's always hugging me saying " MOmmy, I'm so glad you're here"
Last weekend we started going to the pool again. Gracie is a little fish, although when she's swimming she tells me that she's a mermaid! We hold hands and she kicks along... she's so proud of herself and it always really wears her out! She loves going to the movies. Last Sunday I took her swimming in the morning and in the afternoon we went and saw Kung Fu Panda. Now she can't wait to go see Wall-E. She also saw Horton Hears a Who when it came out and now has a stuffed Horton ( thanks to my aunt) that Gracie takes EVERYWHERE and cannot sleep without.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see the new pics and hear the latest news. Gracie is so darn cute! Bailey is pretty cute too. Love to you all....LJ